This is an advanced course for cat professionals who wish to further their understanding of feline behaviour. Written by leading feline behaviour experts including Dr Sarah Ellis, Dr John Bradshaw and Vicky Halls, this course provides you with the most up to date knowledge and science relating to cat behaviour.
Who can complete this course?
This course is for cat professionals who are currently working with cats in a range of capacities, such as:
- Animal behaviourists (as a top-up in feline behaviour – see below)
- Rehoming centres (employed staff and volunteers affiliated with a rescue or rehoming charity)
- Boarding catteries and cat sitters
- Cat cafe workers
- Cat groomers
- Cat breeders
This course would also be suitable for those whose work focuses on cats indirectly such as:
- Scientific research
If you are a veterinary professional please see ISFM Advanced Feline Behaviour for Veterinary Professionals.
|Please read! Important information While the course is designed to give the learner an overview of the various problem behaviours that can occur in cats, the course is not designed to teach you to become a qualified cat behaviourist. However, it will be of great use for anyone wishing to pursue a career in clinical animal behaviour or for those already qualified, by providing a solid foundation in many aspects of cat behaviour.
What are the 7 modules?
- What am I and where did I come from? Learning about the behavioural ecology, evolution and domestication of the cat will help you understand what makes a cat a cat.
- What do I perceive and what can I say? Getting to grips with the feline senses and how they are utilised in communication will help you understand the best ways to interact with cats, as well as how to manage cat to cat relationships.
- Will I grow up to be happy? Studying the behavioural development and behavioural health of kittens will ensure you are able to give kittens the best chance at becoming well-adjusted pets, as well as provide you with the skills to educate owners.
- What do I feel and am I ok? By being able to recognise the different emotions cats can feel, you will become better skilled at recognising poor welfare and make more accurate assessments of a cat’s welfare.
- Creating cat friendly homes Put your newly found knowledge into practice and develop the skills to help cats lead as stress-free lives as possible at home.
- What do I know and what can I learn? Understanding how cats learn and how they perceive and evaluate the world around them will help you to develop the training skills to put this knowledge into practice to help reduce stress for cats.
- Behaviours that cause problems By gaining an understanding of problem behaviours in cats – how to prevent them, what causes them, what behavioural first aid is appropriate and when more specialist help is needed – you will be better equipped to take the right action.
When does the course start?
The next course starts on 5th October 2022.
How long will the course take?
- The course runs over 18 months and is divided into 7 modules. Each module contains a number of short assessment activities, all of which will be due by the end of the 10-week module.
- If for any reason you are unsuccessful in passing a module, you will have the opportunity to re-sit. You will be given the opportunity to re-sit a maximum of two modules (the same module twice or two different modules). A fee of £45 plus VAT will apply for each resit to cover the cost of administration and remarking assessments.
- In extenuating circumstances, we may consider deferral to the next cohort for a fee of £125 plus VAT. Places on the course can only be deferred for one year and on one occasion only.
How much does it cost?
Course cost is: £795.00. Please note that the course must be fully paid up before you start.
Please be aware that there will be no refund if the course is not started or completed unless there are extraordinary circumstances and this is at the discretion of International Cat Care.
Please check you have understood and you meet all advertised prerequisites for the course. Please also read the terms and conditions for our distance education courses.
How do I enrol?
To enrol for this course, click the ‘Enrol’ button below. You will have the option to pay via invoice or credit card at the checkout stage. If you have any difficulty with the enrolment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org